A citizen of any country has the right to lead a healthy life. Of course, following a healthy lifestyle is one component of healthy living. Municipal corporations and sanitation agencies, on the other hand, play an essential role in maintaining cleanliness and providing citizens with a healthy environment.
Unfortunately, most countries fall short of this goal.
Some of the most significant challenges in waste management include unscientific dumping of solid domestic wastes in prohibited areas and inefficient garbage collection and transportation. All of these lead to significant problems for the residents living in and around such areas.
Here, the Smart Vehicle tracking systems come to the rescue of Municipal corporations and government agencies at various levels. Tracking garbage vehicles guarantees excellent waste management, which leads to increased efficiency and healthier surroundings.
What is a Vehicle Tracking System?
A vehicle tracking system is a solution designed on the back of cutting-edge technology that enables the tracking and control of automobiles via an online, smartphone, tablet, or other devices round the clock, owing to GPS satellites.
Vehicle tracking systems provide real-time tracking of vehicle speeds, routes taken, halting spots, and idling durations on maps.
The Big Picture – How does a Fleet Management System work?
Municipal fleet management uses IoT-enabled devices to track, monitor, and manage municipal fleets to improve operational efficiency, optimize maintenance schedules, reduce fuel consumption and costs, and assure proper waste management.
All the garbage vehicles are equipped with RFID tags to be read at Waste Treatment Plant entry/exit stations. The GPS based Fleet Management system tracks the inward and outward movement of vehicles.
A robust Vehicle Management System provides data transfer through GPRS, allowing designated compactors/tippers/other vehicle operators to update their status on garbage pickup from bins.
The system automatically creates an effective route to the available garbage vehicles, leading to maximum waste collection and fuel efficiency.
Key Benefits of Intelligent Fleet Management System
1. The Advanced Vehicle Tracking and Monitoring system tracks and monitors all Solid Waste Management and sanitation vehicles and provides real-time information on their status to the concerned departments. This helps municipal corporations and agencies to see where their garbage vehicles are in real-time, and accordingly, they can take action.
2. Additionally, the fleet management system tracks the vehicle’s entry and exit from each lane and estimates the vehicle’s average time spent in each lane. This enables municipal corporations and agencies to deliver prompt service to their clients while simultaneously reducing waste and enhancing the fuel efficiency of their garbage vehicles.
3. A halt time is defined based on available data for the number of homes in each lane and the amount of time spent in each route. If the halt time is more than the defined halt time, the system creates an alert. This results in the driver of the garbage van performing their duties properly and attentively.
4. Moreover, the fleet management system tracks the movement of garbage vehicles throughout the day. If the truck takes longer than usual to traverse the route between the waste pickup place and the transfer station and back, the system generates an alert. The data is used to identify inefficient or malicious truck movements and to optimize routes in order to maximize operational efficiency.
5. Also, the system has a feature that generates notifications in the event of delays or other difficulties encountered during solid waste pickup tasks. These notifications are sent to citizens’ smartphones, allowing them to plan their activities properly and avoid waiting for garbage trucks.
6. Apart from that, the system provides tools for planning and allocating resources (such as staffing, vehicle, and inventory) in response to ad hoc requests made with respect to an emergency, such as a dead animal(s) on the street or extreme rains.
7. Finally, according to research, a robust fleet management system improves fuel efficiency by over 30%, optimizes preventative maintenance schedules, improves vehicle performance, and promotes driver safety while lowering liability and repair costs.
All in all, a comprehensive fleet management system can help municipal corporations and agencies to have real-time information on garbage vehicles and provide the level of service that citizens expect.
If you’re looking for a robust vehicle tracking system to increase your efficiency and customer service in an economical and proven way, you’re on the right platform.
Let Convexicon Develop Your Tracking Software
Whether you’re new to GPS tracking and looking for a reliable solution, or you’re looking to enhance an existing solution with more complex tracking capabilities, Convexicon can assist you.
Convexicon’s fleet management system was developed exclusively for trash management organizations in order to help them improve their client service. With Convexicon’s VTS, you can monitor the vehicle’s waste capacity, track its location, and detect and prohibit illegal rubbish emptying attempts.
Additionally, Convexicon’s VTS guarantees that geo-fences are enabled on all vehicle routes (mainly those used by SWM), administrative boundaries, transfer stations, workshops, and landfills, along with other features/locations as demand dictates.